Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Hopeful sign

In a perverse sort of way, an incident today showed I'm feeling better.

Walking through the Legislative Office Building near the state Capitol, I ran into Laura Anglin, the former state budget director, who is now head of the lobbying group for private colleges, the Commission of Independent Colleges and Universities.

It was the group's lobby day, and she was there advocating to reverse cuts in tuition assistance Gov. Paterson has proposed in his budget. Yes, taxpayers do help pay the tuition of some private-school students.

How much did tuition go up at her institutions this year, I asked her.

Net tuition actually went down, she said.

Net tuition, I repeated. What does that mean? She explained it's the sum of the sticker price (which I paid for both of my kids, and went up a little this year at most institutions) and discounts, like scholarships and grants.

Profs still working eight months a year? I asked her. Still having to teach as many as two classes a semester?

Wait a minute, she said. I haven't seen you in six months and you're giving me such a hard time. What's the deal?

Like I said, I'm feeling better.

2 comments:

  1. You must be! Glad to hear it,

    Terri Standish-Kuon, at the aforementioned Commission on Independent Colleges and Universities

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best sight I've seen in, well I can't remember how long, was seeing Jay Gallagher walking down the halls of the Empire State Plaza. He was, as he always was, grumpy, button-holing people for a question, and getting button-holed himself to spill what he's learned. It was sweet de-ja-freaking-vu. My favorite part was this alleged recovering guy gave me a shoulder block _ hard _ that still smarts. Same old mature Jay. Jay's return was the talk of the Legislative Correspondents Association lounge as well as among legislators of both species. It's hard to figure out how such a pain in the ass can brighten up a place so much, but he did. Thanks for coming back, Jay, the way we always knew you would.

    ReplyDelete