Monday, January 4, 2010

Rigors of Cruise Life

ST. THOMAS, U.S. VIRGIN ISLANDS - What recession? So far, this cruise is coming across as a great ad for a higher top marginal tax rate.

Talk about every whim being met: when we came back to the ship today after a hard day on the beach, we were given chilled face cloths to help revive us for the rigors of a filet mignon dinner followed by a champagne reception. Semi-vegetarian Emily didn't have the beef but managed to sweet-talk the waiter into bringing her three desserts. We all have our weaknesses.

The ship is actually under way now but it's so huge it feels almost as steady as if we were lying on bedrock. It's a bit of a change from sailing on my 14-foot Sunfish.

The biggest challenge for the rest of the week is going to be making up excuses why we deserve to eat so much.

We are almost absurdly tied into the rest of the world. Not only can I blog from the middle of the ocean, but I saw several replays of Patriots wide receiver Wes Welker tearing up his knee yesterday on an open-air tv screen at least 12 feet high and 20 feet wide.

2 comments:

  1. Jay:
    I enjoyed your New Years Day musings. I just got to them. I second the good thoughts on the newspaper business.
    Enjoy your trip.
    --Eric Durr

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally delighted for you. Enjoy the decadent lifestyle! One of our favorite parts of the cruise we went on a long time ago was the other family at our table. Or do you and Emily have a romantic table for two?

    ReplyDelete