Monday, March 15, 2010

Wanted: radio delete key

As I have done for each of the past few Mondays, I was "co-host'' on a political talk show on the radio this morning at the Capitol.

In many ways it is a dream job because the real host, Susan Arbetter, is polished and smart and keeps the conversation going with various guests. When something occurs to me, I sort of barge into the conservation with a few questions or observations, and then lapse back into silence again if I feel like it. Only if I used what former Congressman Eric Massa called his "salty'' language could I actually get myself in trouble.

I've been around the Capitol so long that in most cases I know the guests and have at least a passing knowledge of the issue on the table and have strung enough words together so that what I say makes sense, at least on the surface.

But Susan mentioned today that she is thinking of taking a week off next month and would like me to pitch in while she is gone.

I managed not to gag as she assured me that there's nothing to it and that plenty of people would be around to help, and I didn't ask for any more specifics about exactly what she has in mind.

But I have been on enough shows and listened to more to know that the real skill in hosting a show like this is keeping the ball rolling during pauses, remembering who you're talking to and avoiding the dreaded dead air. Yet while you have to do so much talking, you can't say anything really stupid or profane.

Sounds like a job several notches above my pay grade. Plus, how can you do communicate anything in a medium where there are no delete or escape keys?

2 comments:

  1. I say go for it, Jay Limbaugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Jay - go for it. You can't be worse than Fred!!

    ReplyDelete