Thursday, March 11, 2010

Another milestone

My last day of work for Gannett was nine months ago today.

Last June 11, the coup craziness in the Senate was just getting underway, and I remember having to elbow my way into the Senate chambers that morning to view all of this first-hand - the Republicans and two renegade Democrats uniting to unseat the fragile majority that had ruled the house for the previous six months.

Then I went to lunch in the Capitol and found when I went to stand up that I could barely stir from my seat. I sort of staggered back to the office, wrote a column (the 11th of June was also a Thursday) called the doc and went home to sleep. My tumor was discovered the next day and I underwent surgery two weeks later.

It certainly hasn't been all fun and games since, but, as a doctor reminded me this week, anyone who has survived pancreatic cancer for nine months has no basis for complaining.

I celebrated today by going for my 19th chemotherapy treatment. It wasn't bad, as these things go.

1 comment:

  1. Happy first anniversary, my friend. I will be there for the 10th, no doubt. Dollinger

    ReplyDelete