Thursday, March 25, 2010

Anybody looking for a facilities manager?

A few answers to the response I got to my non-facilities-manager posting:

Actually I have not always been totally asleep at the switch. A few years ago after taking a shower I went to my favorite chair in front of the TV in the family room and was soon deeply involved in a game. NOT so deeply involved, however, that I didn't notice water cascading from the ceiling - right under where I had just taken a shower. I yelled for Emily, and together we made the decision to get the shower fixed.

The toilet has also been backing up lately, I noticed, and so I agreed we should get that fixed - I even initiated the idea.

I am also a bit of a furniture maker. About 20 years ago when we needed a book case for the family room. I put one together and screwed it into the wall. Some of the shelves were straight and many of the screws were hidden. Then last year when we were having the room redone, the contractor wanted to tear it out and couldn't believe we wanted to keep it. It has sentimental value, I told him, while privately seething. Some art has imperfections.

So maybe I would have some entries on a resume for facilities manager. But I think I'd rather be lieutenant governor or a minority legislator or something else that doesn't require any heavy lifting...

In the anniversary department, I was operated on nine months ago today in Boston. I celebrated by having my 21st bout of chemotherapy. That gives me a week off before facing number 22 on April 8.

1 comment:

  1. Seems to me that you are doing very very well! As for facilities management...if a boat is a hole in the water into which you pour money, then a house is the same, except on land. It never ends.

    ReplyDelete